Have you ever wondered how female celebrities master that airbrushed look on the red carpet? It’s obviously a variety of potential factors: diet, exercise, intervention of invasive treatments and the most advanced makeup formulas. But there’s one more thing all those stars are doing: Dermaplaning.
What is Dermaplaning also known as Dermablading?
Dermaplaning is a quick, painless and safe treatment that can do wonders for your skin. It is a non-invasive, non-chemical, deep manual exfoliation that exfoliates the epidermis and ridding the skin of fine vellus hair (peach fuzz). Dermaplaning offers a rare combination of overall skin rejuvenation and facial hair removal benefits.
Dermaplaning is performed by using a disposable sterile surgical blade called a dermatome. When using the dermatome, you skin care expert will abrade the outermost layers of dead skin cells with light feathering strokes to smooth away the surface layer of the skin. This procedure is highly customizable and can be performed on a small area or on the entire face excluding the nose. Depending on your needs the procedure can take from a few minutes to a full hour to complete.
Although it is considered one of the more aggressive skin exfoliation it is a treatment that can be repeated every 3-4 weeks. Results are usually seen instantaneously with minimal to no downtime. After receiving this complete rejuvenation procedure, your skin appears smoother, healthier, more radiant, and more youthful.
Dermaplaning Deluxe makes use of a brightening enzymatic treatment throughout the procedure to help exfoliate and brighten the skin.
Your Annapolis Dermaplaning appointment
From the moment you step into one of our treatment rooms at our main office in Annapolis or our satellite office in Easton, you know you’ll be well taken care of. Our highly trained, skilled, caring staff studies your skin closely and consults with you to develop a plan just for your specific needs.
What does the treatment feel like?
Although Dermaplaing sounds a bit scary, it is a painless procedure and can be compared to the sensation of shaving. While using the dermatome with one hand the other hand will pull an area of your skin taut. Dermaplaning is safe and is highly effective in anti-aging benefits.
Who is Dermaplaning suitable for?
Dermaplaning is suitable for all skin types except acne-prone skin.
- It is especially effective on those with dry or rough skin texture and helps to minimize superficial acne scarring or uneven skin tone.
- It is beneficial for mature skin, which tends to have a buildup of dead cells as cellular turnover slows down with age.
- It is the first choice for patients who have excess vellus hair on the skin. This hair often causes a buildup of dirt and oils in the follicles, so removing the hair gives the patient healthier smoother looking skin.
- Because Dermaplaning is an alternative to chemical peels or Microdermabrasion it is a good choice for skins who are extremely sensitive, experience redness and/or rosacea. Although this is considered a more aggressive treatment, Dermaplaning does not break the capillaries on the face.
- Unfortunately, it is not recommended for acne prone skin because of the removal of vellus hair. The oil from the sebaceous glands needs to travel up and connect with the vellus hair in order for it to be excreted. If the hair is removed and the oil builds up, the glands are obstructed and the individual may experience more breakouts and even more severe acne.
What about sensitive skin?
Dermaplaning is an alternative to chemical peels or Microdermabrasion and is a good choice for anyone who has unwanted fine facial hair (peach fuzz), extremely sensitive skin, redness, and in some case rosacea. Although this is considered an aggressive treatment, Dermaplaning does not break the capillaries on the face.
What is the recommended treatment?
This procedure is performed as often as every 3 weeks. For optimal results, two series of 4-6 procedures per year are recommended. Dermaplaning is only performed on the face but nose area is avoided.
What are the benefits of Dermaplaning?
This procedure is usually completed between 30–45 minutes; therefore it can easily be done during lunch break. This anti-aging treatment does not cause any trauma to skin and in return you will encounter little to no downtime. For certain skin types, a chemical peel done immediately after Dermaplaning is an excellent way to make sure that the peel penetrates deeper and more evenly. Some benefits include increased absorption of topical products, immediate softening of fine lines and wrinkles, and creates a healthier and more radiant skin.
Are there any side effects?
Side effects are minimal and temporary. Side effects may include redness, dryness and flaking of the skin. We recommend avoiding exercise and vigorous exfoliation for 24 hours after your Dermaplaning treatment to avoid irritation of the skin.
After your Dermaplaning: Recovery and Results
Usually, after your first treatment you will see a difference instantly.
Contact us to schedule a consultation, to get the information you need to decide if Dermaplaning will give you the results you’re looking for.