Having a child should change your life, not your body. But, as we often hear often, that’s not normally the case. Women who’ve given birth typically see changes in their breasts and abdomen.
Breastfeeding can dramatically change the volume and shape of your breasts; some breasts sag or lose elasticity. Being pregnant stretches your abdominal tissue, and after childbirth these tissues don’t always return to their tight, pre-baby shape. Years later, many mothers find themselves with loose, sagging skin that can’t be tightened through exercise or diet.
You deserve a reward for all you’ve done and all you do – having kids and raising them, watching what you eat, and when you can fit it in, exercising to try to get back to your pre-pregnancy appearance. If you’ve finished having children, a mommy makeover might be just what you need, to get back to the look you want.
What Women Are Saying After Pregnancy
What is a Mommy Makeover?
A mommy makeover is a customized surgical procedure that combines several body contouring procedures to improve the physical changes to your body that stick around long after you’ve given birth. Typically, these procedures reshape your breasts and contour your abdomen. Depending on the outcomes you’re looking for, a number of procedures can be included in a mommy makeover:
- Breast lift with or without breast augmentation, to correct volume and placement of your breasts and help restore them to a youthful position with a feminine shape. A surgical breast lift raises and reshapes sagging breasts and, if necessary, can reduce the size of the areola.
- A tummy tuck, or Abdominoplasty, to correct loose, sagging skin on your abdomen. A tummy tuck removes excess skin and fat from the mid and lower abdomen, while tightening and flattening the muscles of the abdominal wall.
- Liposuction, to remove the stubborn pockets of fat that remain after pregnancy.
Your Annapolis Mommy Makeover Consultation
Your first step in your mommy makeover plan should be a consultation with one of our board-certified plastic surgeons at our main office in Annapolis, MD or at one of our satellite offices in Easton or Prince Frederick. During the consultation in one of our comfortable exam rooms, you’ll get all your questions answered and come up with the right plan for you.
The consultation typically includes a discussion of:
- Your goals: why do you want the surgery and what outcome are you hoping for?
- Your medical history. You’ll talk about things like:
- Are you taking any prescription or nonprescription drugs and/or herbal supplements?
- Do you smoke?
- Have you had any previous surgeries?
- Your areas of concern. Once he understands your goals, the doctor will examine, measure and evaluate your stomach, breasts and surrounding areas.
- The procedure. You’ll have time to ask all your questions. We recommend writing them down before the consultation, so you won’t forget anything important.
Understanding the Mommy Makeover
A mommy makeover is a single surgery that includes multiple procedures. As a result, it can take several hours to complete. This outpatient surgery is performed under general anesthesia in our fully accredited, state-of-the-art, ambulatory surgery center in Annapolis. The specifics of the surgery are determined by the procedures we do.
After your Annapolis Mommy Makeover: Recovery and Results
Following a mommy makeover, and depending on your procedures, you may go home with a snug dressing and elastic girdle over your abdomen, to help the skin conform smoothly to the shape of the underlying tissue. Support garments are also recommended for two to three weeks to help with recovery. If you have a breast lift with or without breast augmentation, you’ll leave with a light dressing and a support bra to support your breasts during your recovery.
Recovery from a mommy makeover takes several weeks, and during that time you’ll probably be sore, bruised and a bit swollen. Some of your swelling may seem like it’s not going away, but it will. Some benefits will be immediate, but the full results won’t be seen until all the swelling had gone away, which could take several months.
You’ll probably need some help around the house and getting things done. This includes lifting your children and carrying anything heavier than 10 pounds.
Plastic Surgery Specialists’ Board Certified Surgeon, Dr. Christopher Spittler explains Mommy Makeovers.
Hi I’m Dr. Christopher Spittler one of the board certified plastic surgeons here at Plastic Surgery Specialists in Annapolis. The typical patient for a mommy makeover is usually in her 30s or 40s and has finished childbearing. Typically she has concerns regarding the appearance of her breasts and abdomen. The surgeries involved are usually breast augmentation possibly with a breast lift as well as abdominoplasty and liposuction. Feel free to contact our office to schedule a complimentary consultation today.
What are the risks of a mommy makeover?
As with most surgical procedures, you may have some post-operative discomfort for a few days, which can be easily controlled with medication prescribed by your doctor. Your surgeon will give you a list of post-operative instructions which you should follow closely during your recovery.
Contact us to schedule a consultation with one of our board-certified plastic surgeons to discuss your individual needs, to get your questions answered and decide if a Mommy Makeover will provide the results you want.